02 January 2012

Review: As Seen on TV

Title: As Seen on TV
Author: Rebecca Leigh
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Publication Date: 29 June 2011
Reviewed Format: ebook
Length: 30 pages

Rating: 2 out of 5

Review: Graham just wanted to get away from his busy life as a New York stockbroker when he planned his trip to Hawaii. His vacation gets a lot more interesting--and intimate--when he finds television star Bruce checking into his hotel.

I appreciate that this short story features older men. (Well, comparatively, as the men are around 40.) It's a nice change from the usual. That being said, aside from the mention of the grey in Bruce's hair, they behave identically to any younger character set. I'm not certain yet if this is a good thing or not.

The chemistry between the characters isn't bad, believable if not particularly appealing. The fact that they consummate their relationship with bathtub sex makes me laugh for entirely unrelated reasons, but the sex itself isn't bad. (It's not the author's fault that I find it silly, after all, and it certainly fits the soap theme.) Although the story ends with a hopeful note, though, I just couldn't see their relationship continuing once they'd left Hawaii.

One thing that irked me: it's mentioned that Bruce is best known for his soap commercials. What kind of career did he have to be known for commercials instead of programs? Do commercial actors qualify as television stars? Do they qualify as big enough television stars to be able to brush off being recognized with a casual "I get that a lot"? I don't see that, which makes it difficult for me to buy into Bruce as a serious sex symbol.

It's not a bad story, just one that I find requires more of a suspension of disbelief than I am prepared to give. If you can shut your brain off enough to get past the silly bits, you just might enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment